Systems Engineering Profession LeadApply Requisition ID 155656BR Date updated 02/10/2020
Location: Waddington, Broughton, Harlow, Glenrothes
Summary of Role
As a leading international defence organisation we have a unique opportunity for an experienced individual to support the development of our Systems Engineers who operate across the Engineering function.
We wish to recruit an individual who has previous experience working in a Systems Engineering Lead role, with demonstrable hands-on experience of delivery across a broad portfolio of product development and service delivery programmes. The role will involve understanding the strategic direction for the business, interfacing across all business areas and functions. Central to the role will be identifying improvement opportunities, and execute all approved initiatives to completion. The role also includes providing Systems Engineering governance and support, which may from time to time mean becoming part of the programme team.
With no line management responsibilities, this is the ideal role for a Senior Systems Engineer practitioner who has the passion and drive to utilise their experience in shaping and influencing the direction of Systems Engineering focussing upon “people, processes and tools” across Raytheon.
Due to being Raytheon being geographically dispersed across multiple sites, and the role requiring an in-depth understanding of all areas of the business, there will be the need for extensive travel across the UK, with potential international travel to US.
- Report to the Head of Engineering Performance Excellence.
- Develop and articulate a good understanding of the current, short- and long-term Systems Engineer’s capabilities and capacity, providing well thought through recommendations and follow up action plans, to drive increased consistency.
- Governance of System Engineering Processes ensuring best practices are adopted (e.g. Requirements Management, Systems Design, Integration Verification & Validation), including independently reviewing and chairing Engineering stage gates.
- Governance of the Systems Engineering tools (e.g. DOORS) and modern concepts in further developing the modelling and simulation capability
- Build a strong Systems Engineering community, with a continuous improvement, affordability and sustainability ethos.
- Develop meaningful KPI measures that both demonstrate improvement across Systems Engineering & justify the Profession Lead role.
- Manage reach back into the US (corporate and businesses) to make best use of all assets for the Raytheon business, and benchmarking with other market leading enterprises.
- Play an active role in growing the capability of engineering within Raytheon UK, leading change where appropriate.
- Demonstrable hands-on Systems Engineering leadership of major engineering programmes across the full development lifecycle (Bids through to delivery and commissioning)
- Wide and deep knowledge in the concepts, practices, tools and processes of Systems Engineering. Especially in cross-disciplined programmes / products development (Mechanical, Electronics and. Software).
- Experienced in the use of Waterfall techniques using a stage-gate process.
- Experienced in planning and estimation of major development programme.
- Able to create meaningful measures and metrics for Systems Engineers to monitor and control the progress and status reporting.
- Able to lead by example, developing long-lasting relationships to achieve the desired results. This includes communicating and challenging at multiple levels to influence and negotiate, without formal authority.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with an ability to draw conclusions from disparate sources of data and information
- Resourceful , innovative, adaptable and persuasive, driving through approved change, with no formal authority
- Decisive person who bases their decision on sound reasoning & data.
- Ability to multi-task on several assignments and complete all to a high standard, with a high degree of energy to deliver on commitments.
- Degree qualified in Science, Engineering or Mathematics is desired, but candidates with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Willing and able to obtain SC (preferably DV) level MoD Security Clearance.
- Proficient in some System Engineering toolsets (e.g. DOORS, Enterprise Architect, SysML, UML, Modelling/Simulation)
- Working knowledge and application of Architecture Frameworks (e.g. TOGAF, MODAF)
- Good communication skills, to engage with Suppliers / Customers on a technical data management level
- Knowledge of Agile techniques and application in non-software related developments.
- Understanding of the IT infrastructure and integration of tools and processes for Systems Engineers.
- Knowledge in Aerospace, Security & Defence industry.
Type Of Job
United Kingdom - Broughton
United Kingdom - Glenrothes
United Kingdom - Harlow
United Kingdom - Waddington
Work on interesting projects and enjoy plenty of recognition
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or a experienced professional, it’s important that you feel recognized and rewarded for your contributions.
Raytheon is proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to you, your spouse and your eligible children. In addition to protecting you and your family's health and well-being, we offer important income and work/life benefits to meet your needs. Learn More
Turn unique thinking into one-of-a-kind solutions
Diversity. Every company likes to talk about it, but few have embraced it with quite the same commitment as we have here at Raytheon. As a result, diversity has become a competitive imperative and an integral part of our business model, particularly as we continue to grow internationally. Learn More
Work as one to make a difference to millions
Here at Raytheon, we innovate across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace.It’s innovation made possible by a strong internal culture and a vision that’s shared by Raytheon employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Learn More
Download our Corporate Responsibility Report.
- View all events
U. Texas, Dallas - Engineering Campus Screens (Spring 2020)
Time: 9:00 am CT - 4:00 pm CT Address: UTD Career Center SSB 3.300 Interview Rooms A-C 800 W. Campbell Rd. Richardson, Texas 75080 Type: Campus Screens
Fellowship Student Meet & Greet
Time: 9:00 am ET - 5:00 pm ET Address: Inn at Virginia Tech 901 Prices Fork Road Blacksburg, Virginia 24061 Type: Shipping Only
URI Spring 2020 Job & Internship Fair
Time: 12:00 pm ET - 3:00 pm ET Address: URI Ryan Center 1 Lincoln Almond Plaza URI Eng. & Tech Fair, Oct.2, 2019 Kingston, Rhode Island 02881 Type: Campus Career Fair
Raytheon IIS Career Fair - Aurora, CO
Time: 4:00 pm MT - 7:00 pm MT Address: Launch Pad 884 S Buckley Rd Aurora, Colorado 80017 Type: Professional Career FairRegister
UMass Lowell Spring 2020 Co-Op Connection
Time: 6:00 pm ET - 8:00 pm ET Address: Stephen Lichwala 358 Lowell ST Raytheon RFC - Duke Building Andover , Massachusetts 01810 Type: Networking Event
U. Texas, Arlington On-Campus Interviews - Spring 2020
Time: 8:30 am CT - 5:00 pm CT Address: Career Development Center 300 W. 1st Street, Suite 180S Interview Room 2 Arlington, Texas 76019 Type: Campus Screens