Engineering Fellow - Thermal Analyst
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
Are you a highly independent contributor?
Do you strive for customer satisfaction?
Are you a team player and builder?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, keep reading to learn more!
The Analysis & Test Department of the Mechanical Subsystems Engineering Directorate (MSD) is seeking an experienced Thermal Analyst with working knowledge and documented experience in the area of Thermal Analysis and Test activities in support of all phases of programs including proposal, development and production. This includes developing and optimizing designs to work with high temperature materials, in multiple operating environments spanning the range of flight conditions.
As a core team member your tasks will include:
Analyze complex missile structures via classical and/or advanced methods of analysis
Articulate risk to various internal and external customers based on data driven solutions
Drive the final design working in a collaborative multi-disciplined environment
Analyses will cover a wide range of difficult problems, requiring solutions that are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives. The analyses will span the spectrum from classical methods to detailed numerical solutions using computer methods and finite element analysis. Working independently or coordinating the efforts of a team, the select candidate will be expected to define the scope and level of analysis required to meet required objectives and will be held accountable for completing the work within the agreed upon cost and schedule. Serving as an organizational spokesperson the selected candidate will act as an advisor to management and customers on critical design decisions. The candidate will be expected to effectively present work products in internal and external reviews and provide expert counseling and mentoring
The selected candidate will be expected to lead diverse teams, providing technical oversight and task delegation. The customers of this position will include internal Raytheon personnel and programs as well as external Government(s) personnel and programs. The selected candidate will work with the customer and engineering leadership to define testing required to validate Thermal analyses and to verify that hardware is compliant with requirements.
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience in the Thermal Analysis of complex systems that require collaboration of multiple engineering disciplines
- Ability to be given a program from its conceptual design state, define required thermal tasks, understand the critical path and requirements, organize and lead a team through PDR, CDR and qualification testing
- Must currently have a DoD Secret clearance
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Collaborate with the Structural analysts to analyze the Thermal integrity of thermal isolation designs including thermal protection system integration with airframe
- Demonstrated ability to perform Thermal Finite Element Analysis using PATRAN, ANSYS or equivalent software
- Demonstrated experience defining the thermal architecture required for both transient and steady-state thermal systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in aerodynamic heating analysis, system thermal analysis, electronics thermal analysis for high temperature systems, thermal modeling of ablative systems, combined aero-thermal structural interactions analysis and thermal environmental test.
- Experience developing critical thermal load cases - balancing mechanical loads and thermal loads
- Experience estimate aerodynamic heating at a variety of fidelity levels from empirical correlations to fully-coupled CFD with chemistry
- Thermal integrity analysis to assess Margin of Safety as well as failure. Experience with electronic reliability standards and analysis approaches.
- Expertise performing classical methods based on fundamental equations for fluid flow, convection, radiation and conduction
Desired Education, Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience working with thermal protection systems and materials. Proficiency analyzing thermal protective systems and defining test methods to prove out thermal protective system designs.
- Experience with quartz lamp, arc jet, wind tunnel and other test methods to quantify aerodynamic heating conditions and correlate aerodynamic heating models
- Supporting development testing for material characterization as well as subcomponent and flight testing. Reduction of test results for application into vehicle analysis
- Demonstrated experience in providing electronics cooling thermal management solutions for passively and actively cooled thermal systems
- Familiarity with analysis approaches for heat pipes, cooling loops, thermoelectric coolers and heat exchangers.
- Definition and execution of ground test of Thermally critical phenomena
- Master’s in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- 25 plus years of professional experience in the Thermal analysis of complex systems that require collaboration of multiple engineering disciplines
- Ability to travel to government and other facilities in support of program activities
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment with positive interaction
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities
- Excellent communication skills; both verbal and written
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exoatmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 11,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Secret - Current
Chemical Engineering/Material Science
Type Of Job
AZ - Tucson
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson is regional vice president of RAYVETS, Raytheon's employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).