Engineering Fellow - Harness & Interconnection System Design Engineer
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
The candidate will require an understanding and application of technical expertise in the mechanical engineering field with full knowledge of all other related disciplines. On new programs, the candidate will be responsible for the definition of mechanical outline and construction details, connector selection and specification, mechanical and assembly drawings, oversee electrical layout and full ownership of final technical data package. The candidate will be responsible for deployment and transfer of these skills to the existing harness and interconnection engineering staff. Proposal efforts in harnessing and interconnects will require support. The candidate will develop proposal tools that can be used by other engineering staff members to ensure deployment of the unified developed harness and interconnection implementation strategy. The candidate will establish and be responsible for meeting cost, schedule, quality, and performance requirements for finished product. The candidate will work with little direction or supervision, and develop the business engagement and deployment model, while exercising great latitude in determining the technical objectives of the assignment. The candidate will coach and mentor junior engineers with respect to technical details of interconnect design as well as provide guidance as to the processes and procedures. They will participate in harness and interconnect improvement initiatives in an effort to reach process unification across the business.
The position will require frequent interaction with other senior personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations, and physical locations. They will participate in CAS products requirements, design, analysis, and development process improvement initiatives in an effort to reach process unification across the business. The candidate will be appointed to the “Design Review Board”, and will function to achieve governance over policy and strategy implementations for harness and interconnection product and use. The position will also require periodic travel to harness and interconnect manufacturing facilities to support various missile programs.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in the design and manufacturing of flex, rigid flex, and round wire harnesses for military and aerospace applications
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of military specifications such as Mil-PRF-31032, IPC-6013, J-STD-001, IPC-2221, IPC-2223 and IPC/WHMA-A-620
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of / experience in:
- Engineering design in development projects
- Proposal and cost preparation, requirements definition, and harnessing and interconnection systems analysis, test and verification; operational test support; supplier collaboration
- Harness and interconnection requirements including flow down from top level system and derivation and allocation to components
- Expert system master interconnection diagram development and tool use/education
- Systems architecture definition for harnessing and interconnection systems working across multiple discipline systems for power systems, sensor systems, control systems, guidance systems, seeker systems, separation systems, and navigation systems
- Harness and interconnection system technology readiness level (TRL) maturation
- Validation and verification of harness and interconnection components via system performance modelling and/or development and qualification tests of subsystems
- Reducing the realized and implementation cost of harness and interconnection products for a business, preferably for both the commercial environment, and the aerospace environment
- Development of standards and implementation of standard practices
- Reduction of interconnection complexity for number of conductors using interposer techniques and communications protocols
- Solid experience in electronics and CCA packaging techniques using latest ball grid, surface mount, through hole, and high density interconnection
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret security clearance, US citizenship is required
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Very strong verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills when working with team members and customers
- 25 years of directly related experience in harness and interconnection systems requirements, design, analysis, development, and test
- Strong leadership skills and project management skills with the ability to mentor junior engineers and influence other technical leaders
- A teaching posture and educator type of approach to the work place
- Demonstrated success as a proactive technical leader able to define technical solutions and break them down into tasks team members can execute
- Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements of work (SOW)
- Experience in business development and technology road mapping
- Harness, interconnection, and CCA packaging manufacturing process technologies
- Working knowledge of RMS processes and procedures
- Familiarity with the Pro/Engineer modeling tool and drawing standards
- Familiarity with the design and manufacturing processes of harness and interconnects
- Strong technical background with high technical aptitude
- Strong leadership skills and project management skills with the ability to mentor junior engineers
- Project Management on government programs as applied to team interaction and deliverables including supplier partnerships
- Advanced engineering degree (M.S., PhD.)
Required Education (Including Major):
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or other related Engineering degree
Check us out on YouTube:
Raytheon Company Overview
Are you ready to be remarkable with Raytheon?
The Five Most Powerful Missiles Made by Raytheon
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exoatmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 11,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Type Of Job
AZ - Tucson
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson is regional vice president of RAYVETS, Raytheon's employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).