Engineering Fellow - Firing Trains
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
The successful candidate will:
- Apply and/or develop advanced firing train technologies using scientific principles, theories and concepts to the Target Defeat or Propulsion system for integration into missiles
- Provide technical oversight to the subcontractor
- Review and disposition subcontract data and change requests, prepare and present data to management, government agencies, and project cost account management
- Support the Safety Engineering organization by planning and setting requirements for firing train testing and safety analyses as needed including helping to develop and qualify new materials and architectures
- Frequently interface with the customer to identify user needs
- Manage subcontract suppliers to specify and deliver required subsystem components on schedule and on budget
- Responsible for providing guidance, mentoring and training to other employees within the area of expertise
Key Responsibilities (essential functions):
- Develop firing train strategic and technology development roadmaps
- Lead development of design concepts for firing train system integration into missile systems
- Direct design and analysis activities for firing train systems and associated subcomponents
- Provide technical oversight of subcontracted design activities and technical direction to energetics and firing train engineers
- Support failure analysis and corrective action through redesign of failed firing train component or system
- Present firing train design and supporting analyses/test results to internal and customer review meetings
- Support proposals requiring firing train subsystems and technologies
- Provide counsel and mentoring for more junior members of the Department
- Oversee development of Critical Item Development Specifications (CIDS)
- Oversee fact-finding and contract negotiations
- Test data reduction
- Generate firing train performance data files for use in performance assessments, systems timing analysis, system safety analysis, and requirements compliance
- Ensure technical rigor and depth of all deliverables
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in propulsion engineering
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of / applied work experience in:
- Engineering design in development projects
- Firing Train Materials, System Design & Analyses
- Design and analysis of mechanical subsystems
- Firing Train component manufacturing process and material technologies
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, Power Point & Project)
- Project Management as applied to team interaction and deliverables
- Technical management of subcontracts on Government programs
- Systems architecture as energetic subsystem designer
- Development of propulsion Technical Performance Measures (TPM), Key Product Characteristics (KPC), Key Characteristic Control (KCC)
- Proposal and cost preparation, requirements definition, and firing train subsystems analysis, test and verification; operational test support; supplier collaboration
- Firing train subsystem technology readiness level (TRL) maturation
- Validation and verification of firing train system performance modelling from development and qualification tests of subsystems
- Must be willing to travel to suppliers and government facilities
- Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret security clearance
Bachelor of Science in General, Aerospace, Design, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Applied Physics
Desired Experience and Skills:
- 25 years of directly related experience in firing train systems design, development, and test
- Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements of work (SOW)
- Experience in business development and technology road mapping
- Demonstrated success as a team leader
- Advanced engineering degree (M.S., PhD.)
- Prior active participation in a mentorship or coaching program involving several junior or mid-level engineers
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exoatmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 11,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Chemical Engineering/Material Science
Type Of Job
AZ - Tucson
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson is regional vice president of RAYVETS, Raytheon's employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).