Senior Principal Systems Engineer
Sunnyvale, California, Annapolis Junction, Maryland, Salt Lake City, Utah, Anaheim, California, McLean, Virginia
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson is regional vice president of RAYVETS, Raytheon's employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon appreciates work/life balance. Employees can work 9 hours a day every week and received every other Friday off, as long as departmental/manager approval is obtained. Accrued paid time off monthly and paid holiday time.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 12 holidays per year including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
The highly qualified candidate must be a self-starter, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment. He/she must have a strong work ethic and be flexible and adaptable in order to respond to customer and mission critical needs as they arise. The candidate will also generate briefing material and must be able to effectively and clearly present the material to team members, customers, and RAST management. The engineer must also be able to grasp new concepts quickly and adeptly and be able to create innovative designs that lead to new business and growth. The engineer must also feel comfortable representing the company in various situations, sometimes being the sole representation. Considerable travel will be required for this position.
*** this position can be staffed in Sunnyvale, CA, Anaheim Hills, CA, Salt Lake City, UT, McLean, VA, Annapolis Junction, MD ***
- 10+ years combined in the defense industry as a systems engineer leading teams, and experience in direct customer interaction
- Breadth of experience and expertise includes several of the following:
- FPGA design
- system design
- operations and maintenance of systems
- remote field deployment
- system test
- Assess, update, create, and manage requirements
- Architectural development
- Maintain traceability throughout a project
- Conduct trade studies
- Document and manage interfaces
- Prepare and chair/assist with technical reviews
- Identify and manage risks
- Perform and oversee configuration management
- Ability to drive the generation and tracking of CONOPs, requirements, design reviews, test plans, test procedures and program reports.
- Experience interacting with customers, including leading captures, and developing and working proposals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of program management processes for execution of complex proposals and programs.
- Experienced with leading a multi-functional team from proposal generation through contract award and completion including experience managing cost, schedule and technical aspects of a program.
- Consult on new business and technical initiatives, including the generation of white papers, ROMs, and Gate Review packages
- Understand customer objectives and concepts, extending those concepts into a workable software architecture/design as customer objectives become clearer and as new objectives emerge
- Brief the architecture to the customer community as it evolves with the customer objectives, requirements, and expectations
- Ensure satisfaction of customer technical objectives within cost and schedule constraints
- Existing Top Secret clearance (active within the last 24 months)
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment
- 10+ years as lead for multiple SIGINT applications/products/programs
- 10+ years combined in the defense industry, as lead technical engineer, or experience in direct customer technical interaction, preferably government customers
- Practical knowledge of SIGINT customer ConOps and experience in support of deployed products/systems
- Understanding of telecommunications and data communications system concepts and/or signal processing
- Strong understanding of broadband communications including network operations, transport structures and switching equipment; or deep understanding of a related area and the demonstrated ability to come up to speed quickly
- Experience working with the government IC
- Existing TS/SCI with Full Scope Polygraph
- 10+ years with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Science, Mathematics or related STEM degree
- 8+ years with a MS/MA in Engineering, Science or Mathematics or related STEM degree
- 6 + years with a PhD in Engineering, Science or Mathematics or related STEM degree
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
Top Secret - Current
Type Of Job
CA - Anaheim Hills
CA - Sunnyvale
MD - Annapolis Junction
UT - Salt Lake City
VA - McLean
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.