Systems Safety Engineer - Maritime
San Diego, California
How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you’re an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior
The Whole Life Engineering Directorate has an exciting opportunity for a junior level System Safety Engineer to join our Safety Team.
Raytheon’s Whole Life Engineering Directorate is a systems engineering organization whose main objective is to influence hardware, software, and systems early in their life cycle to assure effective operation, reliability and economical ownership by the customer and end users.
As a System Safety Engineer you’re an integral participant in the design/development process and are responsible for system safety and risk analyses in order to identify risks and influence design to eliminate or minimize safety hazards.
In this role you’ll work with a multi-disciplinary team responsible for system safety on a US Navy combat management system program.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Conducting Safety Analyses and documenting results (Preliminary Hazards List/Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Functional Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, Safety Assessment Report)
- Documenting hazards and maintain Hazard Tracking System
- Developing Software Safety Requirements and providing requirements analysis and flow-down of Safety requirements and attributes in the Dynamic Object Oriented Requirements System (DOORS)
- Performing code analyses to determine whether code is safety significant
- Supporting Configuration Review Boards
- Participating in System Safety Working Groups and Technical Interchange Meetings
- Developing Technical Data Packages and Presentations for Safety Board Reviews
- Documenting and reporting residual risk
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only US Citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- 2+ years’ experience as a System Safety Engineer, Software Engineer, Systems Engineer or equivalent
- Ability to obtain DoD Secret Security Clearance
- US Citizenship required
- Knowledge of software development using the Unified Modeling Language, including the generation of Activity Diagrams, Class Diagrams, Sequence Diagrams, and Use Case Diagrams
- Courses in C++ or Java
- Ability to analyze a software design for correct and complete implementation of the requirements
- Ability to analyze software for proper functionality, compliance with coding standards, and identification of the testing that should be performed at the unit and integration levels
- Ability to identify and trace critical data and controls through a software-intensive system
- Good verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to interact well with designers, systems engineers, and test personnel to resolve issues
- Experience and familiarity with Safety Engineering and Safety Design concepts
- Ability to develop tables, queries, forms, and reports using a relational database tool
- Ability to identify undesirable events that may arise as a result of system operation and scenarios leading to those events
- Human Factors coursework or knowledge
- Reliability coursework or knowledge
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts of physics and engineering
- Experience in presenting technical material
- Experience executing a system safety program in accordance with MIL-STD-882
- Experience executing a hazard tracking system
- Experience performing hardware and software system safety analyses
- Experience performing Fault Tree Analyses
- Experience applying Human Systems Integration (HSI) concepts
- MS degree systems engineering, computer science, software engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field. MS degree satisfies 2 years of technical experience requirement.
- Bachelors’ degree in STEM or systems engineering, computer science, software engineering, mathematics, physics or related technical field.
This job is posted internally as: Systems Engineer II
At Raytheon, we innovate to create solutions and solve complex challenges across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace. In doing so, we embrace the talent, expertise and perspectives of our diverse workforce, each bringing their skills, ideas and dedication to the work we do. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers, industry partners and our teammates, making a positive impact not only to our business, but also in our communities where we live and work. Our constant innovation is made possible by a strong culture, investing in our people, and an unwavering vision that’s shared by Raytheon employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place.
Raytheon has been recognized as a respected employer and valued corporate citizen for our employment practices, programs and community support by a number of highly-regarded organizations. The list includes: Forbes, Glassdoor, National Veterans Small Business Association, Corporate Responsibility Magazine, Environmental Protection Agency, Affinity Inc. and many more.
What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits Raytheon offers include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Business Unit Profile
Headquartered in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, IDS has 32 locations around the world. Its broad portfolio of weapons, sensors and integration systems supports its customer base across multiple mission areas, including air and missile defense systems; missile defense radars; early warning radars; naval ship operating systems; C5ITM products and services; and other advanced technologies. IDS provides affordable, integrated solutions to a broad international and domestic customer base, including the U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the U.S. Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security.
Computer/Management Information Systems
Type Of Job
CA - San Diego
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Luke is a Global Business Services IT Intern on the Integrated Logistics Support Finance team. He’s working on redesigning a dashboard that Raytheon financial analysts use to track the metrics, progress, and critical components that are used for all products manufactured in Andover, Massachusetts.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
- Jr/Mid Level Software Engineer - Real Time Software System San Diego
- Software Engineer I - Real Time Software System San Diego
- Sr Systems Engineer II - Shipboard Systems San Diego
- Mgr III Systems Engineering San Diego
- Program Integration, Coordination, and Control Engineer Lead San Diego
- Jr/Mid Level Software Engineer - Real Time Software System San Diego