Sr Systems Engineer II - Shipboard Systems
San Diego, California
How do you protect against those with bad intentions? You create innovative technical processing solutions and collaborate with some of the finest talent in the IT field. Whether you’re an Information Systems Technologist or an Encryption Strategy Expert, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life balance. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior
The Senior In-service Shipboard Systems Engineer will have the knowledge and skill sets necessary to support the LPD 17 Class Program in executing the Life-Cycle Engineering and Support (LCE&S) Contract activities on all LPD in-service ships. The ideal candidate will have the technical knowledge and experience to support in-port and underway events onboard the LPD17 Class ships including system support, troubleshooting, installation, and crew training for Raytheon ship systems as required. These LPD17 Class In-service ships are currently home-ported in San Diego, CA; Norfolk, VA; Mayport. FL; and Sasabo, Japan; additional future home-ports are possible.
Travel up to 50% of the time in support of the Navy’s directed Ship’s Availabilities and emergent support requests. Assignments may include Ship Trials, Ship Sail Away, and Sea Trials - for durations up to a month on rare occasions
The Senior In-service System Engineer will be responsible for supporting the following tasking:
- Support in-port and underway events onboard the LPD17 Class ships including system support, troubleshooting, installation, and crew training for Shipboard Wide Area Network (SWAN) and related Information Assurance (IA) and cyber security initiatives for the information systems networks, Magnetic Signature Control System (MSCS), Navigation Data Distribution System (NDDS), Computer Information Display System (CIDS), Integrated Voice Networks (IVN), and other systems as required.
- Ability to work with Ship’s Force at all levels in order to provide distant support/troubleshooting of hardware and software for the various Raytheon systems
- Support various trials onboard LPD17 class ships (ie. Acceptance Trials, Final Contract Trials, INSURV, etc.)
- Update Responsible Engineering Authority (REA) Library documents and presentations for all LPD17 systems
- Support the development of Troubleshooting Guides
- Develop and/or review ship installation documents and Engineering Drawings
- Support task leads and other staff related tasks, and interface with the Raytheon Systems Engineering support team in San Diego in laboratory development and testing of system equipment and system upgrades.
- Provide information and data to Raytheon’s Program Management and Engineering personnel concerning emergent ship needs
- Support the generation of Technical Instruction (TI) documents to be submitted for Government approval and funding
- Assist the Integrated Planning Yard team, Port Engineering, Regional Maintenance Coordinator and Navy Type Command in responding to requests for ISE material, technical assistance, Casualty Report responses, resource planning, and task execution
- Assist in hardware tracking and hardware database maintenance; support ship’s 2-Kilo process and CASREP analysis
- (6+) years - Experience working in any of the following areas: shipboard networking communications, navigation, command and control and/or integrated electronic control systems
- Experience with electronic navigation and/or network communication systems
- Experience with hardware/software installations and troubleshooting – in a shipyard and/or shipboard environment or similar environments
- Currently holds Secret clearance, or able to obtain an interim clearance.
- Knowledge of integrated communications networks, including working knowledge of network servers, switches and Internet Protocols (IPs)
- Working knowledge of Information Assurance (IA), and of recent advancements in cyber security
- Familiarity with fundamental concepts of core Whole Life Engineering and Life Cycle Sustainment disciplines
- Demonstrated effectiveness in work prioritization in a dynamic environment
- Experience in working aboard Navy ships both in-port and underway to accomplish shipboard testing and troubleshooting of various interconnecting systems
- Experience in the design/development and/or testing of electronic systems
- Experience in work-planning and tasking to established budgets and schedules
- Knowledge of Raytheon’s LPD 17 Class integrated shipboard electronic systems (MSCS, SWAN, ECS, SCS, IVDS, CIDS, SPS-73, IVN, & NDDS)
- Familiarity with the SHIPMAIN maintenance and modernization process.
- Familiarity with logistics support products
- Familiarity with the Raytheon Ship’s Self Defense System (SSDS)
- Working knowledge of activities of a Regional Maintenance Center, and other Navy waterfront resources
- Working knowledge of planning yard maintenance and modernization documentation
- Relevant knowledge and understanding of the duties of Ship’s Force officers
- Technical team leadership experience in a cross functional team
- Familiarity with the principles of Systems Engineering and Systems Integration to the extent of proposing engineering upgrades in response to technical systemic problems, component obsolescence and/or the emergence of new and superior technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate and make presentations to Industry and Navy staff members
- Working knowledge of Integrated Voice Networks (IVN)
BS/BA degree in a STEM major related to this job description.
Business Unit Profile
Headquartered in Tewksbury, Mass., IDS has 28 locations around the world. Its broad portfolio of weapons, sensors and integration systems supports its customer base across multiple mission areas including air and missile defense systems; missile defense radars; early warning radars; naval ship operating systems; command, control, communications, computers, cyber and intelligence (C5I) systems; air traffic management; cyber and other advanced technologies. IDS provides affordable, integrated solutions to a broad international and domestic customer base, including the U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the U.S. Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security.
Computer/Management Information Systems
Integration & Test Engineering
Network Communications Research
Type Of Job
CA - San Diego
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Luke is a Global Business Services IT Intern on the Integrated Logistics Support Finance team. He’s working on redesigning a dashboard that Raytheon financial analysts use to track the metrics, progress, and critical components that are used for all products manufactured in Andover, Massachusetts.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
- International HR Compensation and Benefits Manager Huntsville, Fullerton, San Diego, St. Petersburg, Fort Wayne, Andover, Marlborough, Tewksbury, Waltham, Woburn, Portsmouth, McKinney, Arlington, Boston
- Sr Info Sys Technologist II San Diego
- Aegis SPY Radar Technician Professional (Hourly) San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Pascagoula, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Moorestown-Lenola, Mayport
- Electro-Mech Asmblr Associate San Diego
- Section Manager - Maritime Systems (MS) San Diego
- Systems Engineer II San Diego