Systems Engineer I
Marlborough, Massachusetts, Tewksbury, Massachusetts, Woburn, Massachusetts
Powerful Careers – Legendary Innovations. Raytheon offers a wealth of opportunities for your future and beyond. Bring your talent and skills to a company where challenging the status quo and innovative thinking is encouraged. Our recent college graduate and internship/co-op opportunities allow you to put your academic achievements to work. You'll be presented with opportunities that have an immediate impact on who we are and our presence in a global industry.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Challenge Status Quo
- Communication Skills
- Eager to Learn
- Emotional Intelligence
- Leadership Traits
- Problem Solver
- Team Player
We hire people who want to make the world a safer place.
It’s fun. The work we do is exciting. The growth has been positive. The opportunities have been abundant. There’s a lot of potential in the company, and I’ve experienced it firsthand.– Alfonso Lopez, Engineer
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Watch your financial wellness grow. Enrollment eligibility begins on your first day of work with an employer match up to 3%.
Be recognized and recognize others with our new employee awards program. At Raytheon, we appreciate notable and exceptional performance.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon appreciates work/life balance. Employees can work 9 hours a day every week and receive every other Friday off*
* Requires departmental/manager approval; Interns/Co-ops in California may not be eligible to participate.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 12 holidays per year including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Our educational assistance program provides reimbursement for approved courses and accredited certificate/degree programs relevant to your position. Full-time employees are eligible for up to $10,000 in assistance each year.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
The Systems Architecture Design and Integration Directorate (SADID) is the central focus for Mission Systems Integration activities within Raytheon’s Integrated Defense Systems (IDS). The more than 1,100 employees of SADID provide requirements definition and design at the system, subsystem and component level every day in a collaborative environment which is characterized by respect for the individual, problem solving in a team setting, consensus oriented solutions, and results based recognition.
Raytheon IDS’s CSI Department was created to expand growth opportunities with a focus on system Anti-Tamper (AT) and Cyber Security architecture, requirements, design and implementation, as well as Cyber resiliency, threat awareness, and integration of Enterprise Cyber capabilities into IDS franchise solutions. Specific Cyber Solutions - Information Systems Security Engineer job responsibilities will likely include supporting emerging and existing programs in defining, architecting and implementing systems protection solutions and requirements. Security Engineers will also support programs, research efforts, and strategic initiatives in the areas of System Integrity, Cyber Technologies, and Information Assurance. Information Systems Security Engineers are also involved in integration, string testing, fielding and operational tests. The engineer should be comfortable working independently and in a collaborative team environment.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Defining and developing cyber security requirements, design and architecture artifacts, strategy, plans, and policies
- Defining cyber design solutions, providing guidance and direction related to security technologies
- Performing analysis on cyber security collected data and test results
- Performing and/or providing guidance and oversight on vulnerability assessments; defining, negotiating, and executing Assessment and Authorization (A&A) for programs
- Identifying and implementing cyber security design and preparing and maintaining engineering and security related documentation
- Supporting applicable Anti-Tamper/Systems Integrity technologies, methodologies, and policies
- Conducting cyber security audits to ensure appropriate implementation and compliance of the security posture
- Defining security development and test efforts implementation of security controls of networking devices, databases, operating systems, and hardware/software components
- Conducting technical and nontechnical trade studies, analysis, reviews to identify cyber solutions
Candidates must have currently enrolled or completed an undergraduate degree no more than 18 months prior to start date, with an emphasis in Systems Engineering, Cyber Security/Information Assurance, Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or related technical field.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
- Leadership or participation in college campus organizations, athletic teams, or community service groups
- Strong analytical and technical research skills
- Ability to author technical papers and/or technical presentations
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Relevant work/internship experience, course work, or research project experience in offensive or defensive cyber security engineering, computer systems engineering, IT, network security, software assurance, reverse engineering, requirements development, software/hardware integration, configuration management, technical writing, etc.
- Educational background, interest, and/or some working knowledge in the following areas:
- Layered Security Architecture and Designs
- Familiarity with cyber security concepts related to network topologies, network based security (i.e. firewalls, internal/external routing and switching), host based protection, anti-virus, OS patching, system security administration
- Familiarity with cyber security policies and risk management best practices such as the NIST Risk Management Framework as described in NIST Special Publication 800-37, DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG), and/or Program Protection Plan policies (DoDI 5000.02 and DoDI 5200.39)
- Familiarity with security systems engineering pertaining to computer hardware and software operating systems (e.g. Windows, Linux, Unix), virtual machines (VMWare), and/or application-based solutions in both a stand-alone and/or in LAN/WAN configurations
- General understanding of vulnerability testing (or penetration testing) and familiarity with network and cyber security tools such as Retina, NMap, Nessus, Wireshark, Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP), Metasploit, firewall solutions (Cisco, Juniper, Forcepoint) cross-domain solutions, HIDS/NIDS, etc.
- Familiarity with encryption and cryptographic concepts, cryptographic applications, and COTS secure products
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office toolset (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Visio)
- Familiarity with a modern computer programming language (e.g. Java, C++, C, Python, Ada) and/or other application or software development experience
- Ability to apply systems security engineering concepts, principles, and theories and explain to others who might be unfamiliar
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to pursue information (“self-starter”), organize, multi-task and prioritize tasks in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
What We Offer: Whether you’re starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs.
Find out why Forbes ranks us among the top 500 of America’s Best Employers by visiting us online at www.raytheon.com .
- Follow @Raytheon on Twitter
- Follow Raytheon on YouTube
- Follow Raytheon on LinkedIn
- Follow Raytheon Company on Instagram
"Diversity is at the heart of all we do at Raytheon. We embrace diversity and diverse opinions; we treat people with dignity and respect to support our inclusive culture. This allows us to retain and attract the world-class talent and supplier base we need to develop the innovative solutions our global customers depend on. We view our diversity as a competitive advantage as a key enabler of our growth."
- Thomas A. Kennedy
Raytheon Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Raytheon is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. 142028
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.