Senior Software Developer
Manchester, United Kingdom
Cyber crime and threats are evolving across the globe. Raytheon is developing cutting-edge solutions to defeat these threats – and our software engineers are at the heart of our vital work.
We use an Agile/Scrum methodology and you’ll be involved in the full software development lifecycle. The technologies we have at our disposal are second to none, so you can also expect exposure to AWS, Java, Cucumber and everything in between.
You’ll be part of a growing, high-performing and truly agile team of specialist developers, testers and analysts drawn from diverse and interesting backgrounds. Working collaboratively and in conjunction with our partner organisations, you’ll help to design, develop and maintain critical cyber applications and systems for government, law enforcement and commercial customers.
We strive to make software excellence the standard. So we’ll also look to you to develop and share best software engineering practice, continually improve our coding capabilities, and design and develop new product functionality from an Agile perspective.
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior
Location: Greater Manchester
Summary of role
A fantastic opportunity to join Raytheon UK in our Cyber Centre based in Greater Manchester. We develop software using a variety of Agile methodologies and you will be involved fully in the software development lifecycle, working closely with the entire team in a truly Agile environment. Working for Raytheon you will be part of a growing team, working alongside world class partner organisations. Raytheon supports on-going professional development through both formal and on-the-job training to help you further develop your career and develop your management and leadership potential.
Main duties of the position
Primary Objective: To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems as part of an Agile team.
- Play a leading role in an Agile Software Delivery Team from both a technical and behavioural perspective.
- Support the development of a high performing team with a focus on software excellence
- Effective Line Management of the Junior Software Engineers in your team (typically 2-3) including facilitating their personal development.
- Mentoring of team members and colleagues beyond your line management remit.
- Hold accountability for the software produced by your staff.
- Contribute to the development of the teams standards of software engineering practice applied in your team.
- Drive the continuous improvement of practice and code within your team.
- Design and develop new product functionality within the context of an Agile software delivery team.
- Apply hands on best practice to your team’s code.
- Collaborate with your peers on Technical direction within your team.
- Significant experience of applying Design Patterns to complex problems.
- Significant experience working in an Agile delivery team.
- Significant experience using Continuous Integration.
- Significant experience using TDD.
- Significant experience using BDD.
- Working understanding of SOLID.
- Experience of applying Software Architecture Patterns.
- Experience building enterprise level web applications, services or embedded software.
- Working knowledge of at least 2 compiled languages.
- Working knowledge of at least 2 scripting or interpreted languages.
- Familiarity with Data gathering, visualisation techniques and tools.
- Familiarity with structured and unstructured storage of Data.
- Understanding of virtualisation.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment.
- Experience working with infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies.
- Experience working with cloud technologies and distributed systems.
- Experience working with containerisation.
- Experience working on military or government projects.
- Experience working with secure development techniques.
- Knowledge of information security best practice.
- Good interpersonal skills for customer and partner liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. http://www.raytheon.com/Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
· 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
· Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
· 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
· Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
· Enhanced sick pay scheme
· Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
· 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
· Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites with free snacks & drinks (hot & cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel, Reservist Network etc and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.
Raytheon Application Process
To apply visit the link to the website http://jobs.raytheon.com/united-kingdom/search/
and search for Req ID: xxR. Please complete the on-line instructions to create a profile and upload CV.
Please also view the Raytheon video: http://www.raytheon.com/ourcompany/ourculture/ 151468
Communications & Corporate Affairs
Computer/Management Information Systems
Information and Knowledge Systems
Integration & Test Engineering
Research & Development
Type Of Job
United Kingdom - Manchester
You’ll be highly motivated, demanding of yourself and others around you, and dedicated to achieving great things – for yourself, for Raytheon and for our customers.
The following characteristics will enable you to thrive as a software engineer in our unique environment:
- An interest in technology
- A passion for innovation
- The ability to work in a close team
Please note: you must be willing and eligible to gain government security clearance. We will support you to do this.
You get a real sense of satisfaction seeing something you've contributed to, been invested in and helped deliver. It's a positive place to be.
Contributory pension scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution).
Work / Life Balance
37-hour week, with an early finish on Fridays (subject to job requirements) – flexible working may be considered depending on your role.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
25 days’ holiday plus statutory public holidays and an enhanced sick pay scheme.
Life insurance – six times your salary
Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity and shared parental leave.
- SOC Engineer Harlow, Manchester
- Software Developer Manchester
- Senior Test & Integration Engineer Manchester
- Senior Software Engineer Manchester
- Sept 2020 Start Software Engineering Graduate Leadership Development Programme Feltham, Gloucester, Harlow, Manchester, Wyton