Sr Mechanical Engineer II - Controls and Mechanisms
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you’re a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you’ll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you’ll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you’re ready to take on today’s big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America’s Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for developing technical solutions for a wide range of moving element challenges, such as aerodynamic steering, thrust vectoring, attitude and divert maneuvering, pointing, and stabilizing of missile systems & subsystems. Responsibility extends across the entire life cycle of the product, from conceptualizing and design, to prototyping and manufacturing, integration and verification testing, through production support. The candidate will be expected to apply sound mechanical engineering principles to solve complex system problems while teaming with a cross-discipline team including electrical engineering, systems engineering, flight science, manufacturing engineering, supply chain and others.
Specific tasks may include requirements development and comprehension, concept development, trade study evaluation, 3D modeling support, free body diagram generation, first order structural and thermal analysis, gear analysis, material assessment and selection, datum selection and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, tolerance analysis, margin analysis, support of drawing development, support of manufacturing process and build tooling development, support of test process and test equipment development and participation in design reviews.
Day-to-day activities are highly collaborative, both internally across disciplines as well as externally with suppliers. Hands-on opportunity is plentiful, as great emphasis is put on exposing designers to the hardware through participation in prototype building and verification testing, thus enabling firsthand knowledge of system performance.
Assigned responsibilities could grow to include a team leadership role of a major hardware subsystem on a specific program. In this role, accountability for technical success across disciplines (mechanical, electrical, algorithm, software, integration, etc.), risk management, system integration into the overall final assembly, and adherence to cost and schedule commitments would be required.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience in designing, building and testing mechanisms
- Proficient in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5
- Proficient in product life cycles (requirement generation, documentation, production, process control, fielding a product)
- Proficient in generating free body diagrams
- Moderate 3D modeling skills with a prominent commercial software package
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in working within a cross functional team environment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security Clearance
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Computer Science
- A minimum of nine (9) years of experience in designing, building and testing mechanisms
- Proficient in Engineering processes and procedures
- Ability to deconstruct higher level tasks into discrete lower level work packages and tasks
- Experience in coordinating diverse engineering teams
- Experience on Failure Investigation Teams with FRACAS / FRB / FR / A / CA
- Experience with Pro/Engineer/CREO 3D modeling and mechanical drawing generation
- Experience using Matlab, Simulink, and dSpace
- Proven design and manufacturing knowledge in machine parts, injection molded parts, hobbing, broaching, sheet metal fabrication, BLDC motors, wire harnesses/flex harnesses and related components, corrosion resistant steels and aluminum alloys
- Experience with dynamic modeling using commercial software similar to MSC ADAMS
- Sound knowledge of flight modeling & simulation
- Experience with feedback control systems, including sizing, testing and integration, design to manufacturing, kinematic and dynamic simulation and analysis
- Experience with the development of different actuation drive systems including power management, motor and gear train sizing and implementation (spur gear, ball screw, lead screw, etc.) as well as associated bearing configurations for optimization of friction and position accuracy
- Familiarity with industry standards for system, DC motor, and mechanism design (AGMA, INCOSE, SAE, etc.)
- Experience in design and development of test equipment for electromechanical systems that operate under high load and rate
- Basic understanding of packaging electromechanical systems for management of grounding, shielding and electrical noise in compact designs
- Ability to estimate project / tasks level of effort
- Ability to articulate, in both oral and written form, to technical, non-technical and management audiences
Required Education (Including Major):
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or other Physics-based engineering discipline from an ABET accredited institution
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exo-atmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 13,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Type Of Job
AL - Huntsville
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
What does it take to be successful at Raytheon? Check out these traits to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Felicia Jackson is regional vice president of RAYVETS, Raytheon's employee group for veterans and those who support them. After 24 years in the Air Force, she started a new career at Raytheon. "I wanted to go where people would support me," she told us.
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, if you elect to enroll company matches up to 3%.
Work / Life Balance
Raytheon supports a variety of flexible work arrangements including compressed work weeks, flextime, job sharing, 9/80, reduced hours and telecommuting.
At Raytheon, we foster an inclusive culture of professional development. We support a variety of developmental opportunities including: Mentoring programs, Skills Development, Leadership Development, Rotational job assignments, and Continuous Improvement, all of which contribute to advancement of our employee’s capabilities.
Paid Time Off
Accrue paid time off monthly. Receive 10-12 holidays per year with some locations shutting down the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Select technical positions are eligible for relocation packages. See specific job description for eligibility requirements.
Raytheon offers all eligible employees up to three weeks paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (separate from paid maternity leave or Family & Medical Leave Act).
- Sr Eng Logistics Specialist I- Huntsville, Alabama Huntsville
- Site Security Specialist Dallas, Tucson, Richardson, El Segundo, Huntsville
- Software Engineer II - Software Development Life Cycle Huntsville
- Manufacturing Mechanical Engineer I Huntsville
- Sr Electrical Engineer I - RF CCA Huntsville
- Electrical Engineer II - PCB/ECAD Huntsville