Senior Database AdministratorApply Requisition ID 133853BR Date updated 02/20/2019
Function: Information Technology
Summary of Role
Raytheon UK has an opportunity for an experienced IT professional to fill the role of Senior Database Administrator within the UK Information Technology function. The IT function is responsible for the delivery of core support services to all UK based divisions to successfully enable operational business and operational delivery. The Senior Database Administrator is responsible for ensuring database solutions are designed and maintained appropriately.
This role is very important to the core database service layer, requiring a highly proactive individual who is able to provide expert knowledge and experience, manage complexity, and ensure effective day to day service delivery..
- Support Enterprise level Database applications including Microsoft SQL and Oracle, and associated management and monitoring tools required to manage a large corporate estate.
- Provide 2nd /3rd line support within the team to a number of legacy packaged and internally developed applications used by engineering, programmes, core IT Services and other Back Office functions.
- Support the management of incidents, problems and changes to the service efficiently and effectively following the agreed and documented processes.
- Monitor the performance, capacity, security and tuning of the database estate on a day to day basis.
- Develop, support and maintain the corporate level SQL and Oracle database farms, working in close cooperation with the Data Centre, Network, Remote Site and Application Services teams.
- Perform complex system management and SQL application performance, troubleshooting and tuning including using debugging TSQL, PowerShell and scripting tools as necessary to manage estate.
- Support the implementation of a plan to rationalise the estate for optimum performance, security, licensing and ease of maintenance.
- Implement high availability solutions like Clustering, Mirroring etc. and SQL Extended events.
- Manage and implement updates and patches as and when required.
- Use SSIS, & SSRS for report development and troubleshooting, , which includes data extraction, transformation and loading (known as ETL)
- Develop and promote and SQL Standards and Monitoring for IT development and initiatives.
- Build strong working relationships and effective alignment across functions and businesses in Raytheon UK, International counterparts, and Partner/Subcontractor community.
- Develop and implement a plan to rationalise the estate for optimum performance, security, licensing and ease of maintenance.
- Accountable for Service and system documentation, procedures and resource forecasting and planning to deliver against the defined service criteria ensuring the provision of an Out of hours service (aligned to the rest of IT).
- Carry out a programme of daily/weekly/monthly checks and develop approaches to improve, streamline and automate the health status of the environment.
- Effectively manage deliverables: Incidents, Requests, Small Works Projects and Technical leadership of major implementation and upgrade projects.
- Meet IS assurance, governance and policies to ensure we operate with confidence, through effective maintenance of secure and stable IT platforms for the business, adherence to company security, accreditation and audit requirements.
- Ensure backup schedules & data retention and period maintenance are aligned.
- Proactively identify and manage risk in line with departmental risk strategy.
- Plan, agree and participate in scheduled BCP/DR exercises.
- Prioritise workload in line with demand, priorities and background maintenance and upgrade activities.
- Deliver cross functional improvement projects were applicable utilising the Raytheon 6 Sigma methodology.
- Maintain effective Asset Management and license compliance, system vulnerability management as required.
- Perform Out of hours / On Call Cover service aligned to the rest of IT and agreed with your peers (where relevant) and key business contacts.
- Provide cover for the Head of Database Services as required.
- Represent the interests of the Database Services team at internal and external public events and forums as required.
- Deep and detailed experience of managing Databases including SQL and Oracle technologies.
- Experience of designing and supporting enterprise systems that leverage SQL (All prevailing versions) and SQL application performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Experience of implementing high availability solutions like Clustering, Mirroring etc. and SQL Extended event
- Experience of troubleshooting complex SQL and Oracle issues, debugging code, and resolving enterprise level issues for backbone data storage solutions.
- Experience of developing, promoting and monitoring SQL Standards for IT developments and initiatives.
- Good working knowledge of Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio 2015
- Experience of SharePoint, .NET, C#.NET, ASP.NET, JQuery, CSS, HTML, PowerShell scripting, InfoPath forms and BI capabilities.
- Experience of providing high demand/mission critical systems on a 24x7 basis.
- Knowledge of Service Management disciplines engagement, design, delivery and maintenance lifecycles in a high technology or IT services domain.
- Thorough understanding of ITIL best practice, qualified to a minimum of ITIL Foundation.
- Detailed knowledge / experience of project and service delivery disciplines including business analysis and requirements gathering, resource planning, ability to create project proposals. Full project lifecycle experience, user support & training experience.
- Experience of working closely with Manufacturing, Supply Chain or Finance functions.
- Ability to understand and analyse complex business problems in order to define and develop technology-based solutions.
- Demonstrable evidence of effective problem solving skills in complex support incidents.
- Excellent relationship skills - the ability to build positive relationships with both technical and business personnel.
- Excellent communication skills in written and oral presentation material
- SC cleared or the ability to become SC cleared.
Preferably degree level education although significant experience and track record with tertiary qualification
25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
· Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
· 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
· Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
· Enhanced sick pay scheme
· Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
· 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
· Canteen facilities available at Harlow & Glenrothes sites with free snacks & drinks (hot & cold) available at others
Information and Knowledge Systems
Type Of Job
United Kingdom - Glenrothes
United Kingdom - Harlow