Principal Software EngineerApply Requisition ID 144002BR Date updated 07/12/2019
Summary of Role
Raytheon UK is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join a Programme Engineering team in our Defence Intelligence Services (DIS). The role will see the Principal Software Engineer develop and deliver a wide range of mission critical applications to our defence and intelligence customers. This will involve both the development of custom software as well as the integration of COTS and bespoke software. Dedicated development, test and integration environments are available to support problem investigation and resolution as well as distribution of new software releases.
This role offers a skilled and motivated Software Engineer an exciting opportunity to join the DIS team at a very exciting time. The successful candidate will find themselves working on programmes at various stages of the development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through to design, build, test and acceptance into live service. This will also be an opportunity to get involved with the transformation of our approach from traditional waterfall processes to an agile process where we will be partners with our customers rather than traditional defence suppliers. The role will also include the opportunity to work with our supplier base specifying and supporting the integration and testing of the third party subsystem deliverables.
- To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications
- Design and develop product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements
- Key interface to external customers and suppliers
- Lead scrum\\team meetings
- Responsible for reviewing team members deliverables and providing feedback & guidance
- Act as lead engineer for small/medium programmes or subsystems within larger programmes
- Support Estimation activities
- Support technical planning and management meetings
- Provide software metrics to the programme
- Current holder of or eligibility to obtain MoD DV level security clearance
- Java application development
- C/C++ based application development in a Linux environment
- Application development using Java orientated middleware, for example, JEE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Camel
- Software application development utilizing RDBMS (e.g. Oracle/MySQL) and/or unstructured persistence layers, (e.g. ElasticSearch, MongoDB )
- Expertise in J2EE development - specifically with web application development
- Experience Working in an Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery model
- Experience of scripting languages; Perl, Python, ruby
- Experience with high performance distributed systems
- Experience of Data Analytics and Visualization
- Experience of Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark)
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Understanding of virtualization (e.g. VMWare and Hyper-V)
- Experience of PKI and encryption techniques
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 95 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37 hour working week with an early finish Friday. Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow and Glenrothes sites with free snacks and drinks (hot and cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel and Reservist Network which all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate in.
DV - Current
Type Of Job
United Kingdom - Feltham
Work on interesting projects and enjoy plenty of recognition
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or a experienced professional, it’s important that you feel recognized and rewarded for your contributions.
Raytheon is proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to you, your spouse and your eligible children. In addition to protecting you and your family's health and well-being, we offer important income and work/life benefits to meet your needs. Learn More
Turn unique thinking into one-of-a-kind solutions
Diversity. Every company likes to talk about it, but few have embraced it with quite the same commitment as we have here at Raytheon. As a result, diversity has become a competitive imperative and an integral part of our business model, particularly as we continue to grow internationally. Learn More
Work as one to make a difference to millions
Here at Raytheon, we innovate across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace.It’s innovation made possible by a strong internal culture and a vision that’s shared by Raytheon employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Learn More
Download our Corporate Responsibility Report.
- View all events
U of Arizona- Engineering/STEM Next Day Screens - Fall 2019
Time: 8:00 am MT - 5:00 pm MT Address: Student Union Memorial Center 1303 E. University Blvd. Suite 411 Tucson, Arizona 85721 Type: Campus Screens
U. of Arizona - Eller EXPO (Finance LDP) - Undergrad (Fall 2019)
Time: 11:00 am MT - 4:00 pm MT Address: McClelland Atrium, 2nd Floor 1130 E. Helen St. Tucson, Arizona 85721 Type: Campus Career Fair
MSU Fall Career Days - Engineering & Technology Fall 2019
Time: 4:00 pm ET - 7:00 pm ET Address: Spartan Stadium 891 Birch Rd East Lansing, Michigan 48824-5005 Type: Campus Career Fair
MSU Fall 2019 AES Networking Mixer
Time: 7:00 pm ET - 8:30 pm ET Address: , Type: Networking Event
New Mexico State U. - Career Expo (Fall 2019)
Time: 9:00 am MT - 3:00 pm MT Address: Corbett Center Student Union 3rd Floor Ballrooms 1600 International Mall Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003 Type: Campus Career Fair
U. Texas, San Antonio Campus Screens - Fall 2019
Time: 8:30 am CT - 5:00 pm CT Address: UTSA Career Center 1 UTSA Circle San Antonio, Texas 78249 Type: Campus Screens