High Energy Laser Weapon Systems Architect / Engineering FellowApply Requisition ID 107847BR Date updated 12/15/2017
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons
The Electro-Optical System Design (EOSD) Department is currently in need for a High Energy Laser Weapon Systems (HELWS) Architect / Engineering Fellow to support the Advanced Concepts & Technology Business Area in the development and build of High Energy Laser Weapons Systems. The successful applicant will be a member of the Systems Engineering organization and be responsible for architecting all aspects of a laser weapon system. The HEL Systems Architect will be responsible for the following:
· Defining high energy laser weapon system requirements.
· Maintain domain expertise of HELWS trade space in regards to beam directors/controllers, high energy laser technology, tracking systems, lethality analysis, pointing accuracy and requirements, power and thermal subsystems, and system interfaces.
· Will leverage system engineering best practices to lead the implementation of HELWS design. This would include determination and documentation of technical objectives, CONOPS, requirements and interfaces, design, development and/or solutions for designated laser-based subsystems and hardware/software configuration items.
· Will lead the architecture development and modeling of Key Performance Parameters (KPPs) that can track the allocated, current status, and projected values of critical Technical Performance Measurements (TPMs).
The Electro-Optical System Design Department is an organization of approximately 130 systems engineering leaders, located in El Segundo and San Diego, CA, and Arlington, VA. The department’s charter is provide system engineering, performance modeling/simulation and project leadership for electro-optical and directed energy products and technology. Department staff supports two SAS Mission Areas: Space Systems and Advanced Concepts and Technology.
• Minimum of 12 years of industry experience in design, development and field of high energy laser systems or similar effector based weapon systems
• Must have experience as a Systems Engineer of a fielded laser weapon system and fielding a complex DoD system;
Must have experience overseeing activities related to comprehensive system design including conceptual design, reliability, safety, manufacturability, maintainability, and full conformance to environmental qualifications while meeting performance requirements.
• Must have development experience for laser or effector based weapon Concept of Operations (CONOPS)
• Must have a thorough understanding of laser efficacy, platform integration, beam director design, beam control design, fire control operation, laser safety, system safety considerations, control system design, laser system design, and laser weapon system ruggedness; detailed knowledge of detailed weapon systems to understand how changes in one part of a system impact the rest of the laser weapon system; and system and subsystem activation, testing, and troubleshooting experience.
• Experience leading technical teams of systems engineers, hardware engineers, and analysts
• Must have the ability to obtain Secret level clearance within 1 year.
U.S. Citizenship is required
• Design knowledge and development experience with Aero-optical affects, thermal system design, power system design as well as previous experience as System Engineer during programs involving field testing or operational assessment of advanced laser weapon systems preferred.
• Experience with DOORs, SysML, Matlab, ModelSim, or other computer aided engineering tools
• Experience writing proposals and authoring technical volumes.
• Strong leadership presence and influence
• Experience establishing and maintaining working relationship with all levels of the organization, including customers, users, and other peer groups
• Domain expertise in military development and procurement programs, capabilities, etc.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and negotiation skills
Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) degree in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Math or related discipline
Master of Science (M.S.) degree or PhD in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Math or related discipline
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
Secret - Current
Type Of Job
TX - McKinney
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply
Work on classified projects and enjoy plenty of recognition
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or a experienced professional, it’s important that you feel recognized and rewarded for your contributions.
Raytheon is proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to you, your spouse and your eligible children. In addition to pro tecting you and your family's health and well-being, we offer important income and work/life benefits to meet your needs. Learn More
Turn unique thinking into one-of-a-kind solutions
Diversity. Every company likes to talk about it, but few have embraced it with quite the same commitment as we have here at Raytheon. As a result, diversity has become a competitive imperative and an integral part of our business model, particularly as we continue to grow internationally. Learn More
Work as one to make a difference to millions
Here at Raytheon, we innovate across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace.It’s innovation made possible by a strong internal culture and a vision that’s shared by Raytheon employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Learn More
Download our Corporate Responsibility Report.
- View all events
Raytheon IIS Career Fair (Triton) - Aurora, CO
Time: 11:00 am MT - 5:00 pm MT Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
University of Arizona Spring Career Days
Time: 11:00 am MT - 4:00 pm MT Address: Student Union Memorial Center 1303 E. University Blvd. 3rd Floor Tucson, Arizona 85719 Type: Campus Career Fair
Raytheon Abilities Networking Hour
Time: 3:00 pm ET - 4:00 pm ET Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
Raytheon GTS Virtual Open House
Time: 8:00 am ET - 4:00 pm ET Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
UMass Lowell Spring Career Fair 2018
Time: 4:00 pm ET - 7:00 pm ET Address: UML Tsongas Center 300 Martin Luther King Jr Way Lowell, Massachusetts 01852 Type: Campus Career Fair
URI Spring Career and Internship Fair 2018
Time: 2:00 pm ET - 5:00 pm ET Address: The Ryan Center One Lincoln Almond Plaza Kingston, Rhode Island 02881 Type: Campus Career Fair