High Energy Laser Systems EngineerApply Requisition ID 108213BR Date updated 12/23/2017
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) Systems Development Center (SDC) is seeking a Senior Principled Systems Engineer to help with numerous high energy laser and ladar activities. The Senior Principled Systems Engineer’s responsibilities include being the lead architect of the system design, ensuring the technical performance of the system meets all system level requirements, leading the system engineering team on the program, being the technical interface to the customer, and providing input to the greater engineering team on the program. The Senior Principled Systems Engineer will interact frequently with Program Managers, Product Owners, Program Chief Engineers, and Program IPTLs to ensure that the system shall meet all external technical performance requirements and has adequate subsystem requirements allocation to complete the design. For specific programs the Senior Principled Systems Engineer shall be the Lead Systems Engineer and/or the Systems IPTL. The Senior Principled Systems Engineer will need to be an effective communicator, leader, and decision maker.
The Active EO Technologies (AEO) System Engineering group provides laser systems engineering capabilities in support of multiple programs. Responsibilities include developing laser system requirements, laser system performance analysis and modeling, and laser system Concept of Operations development in complex environments. Responsibilities also include domain knowledge of Electrical, Mechanical, Power, Thermal, and Beam Director/Beam Control subsystems in relation to laser/ladar systems.
The Electro-Optical System Design Department is an organization of approximately 130 systems engineering leaders, located in El Segundo and San Diego, CA, Arlington, VA and Port Jefferson, NY. The department’s charter is provide system engineering, performance modeling/simulation and project leadership primarily for electro-optical products and technology. Department staff supports three SAS Mission Areas: Space Systems; Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems; and Advanced Concepts and Technology.
- At least 8+ years of experience in an Aerospace and Defense Company or related industry in an engineering role.
- Experience with laser system development modeling and simulation including laser radiometry calculations, laser development requirements, and/or atmospheric turbulence modeling
- Experience in electro-optical sensors/systems in the areas of requirements and architecture development, system design, system trades, requirement allocation, and requirement verification
- Experience with software tools such as Matlab, Simulink, Mathcad, Mathematica or other computer aided engineering tools
- Experience multi-tasking in a dynamic environment with changing priorities
- Experience working within a team and as an individual contributor
- Experience synthesizing and presenting complex technical concepts and information effectively
- Must have an active DoD Secret Clearance
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
- Proficiency with scientific computing environments, models, and/or simulations such as the following: MATLAB
- Experience in Nonlinear Photonics, Fiber Optic System Design, High Energy Laser Systems, Coherent Ladar Systems, EO/IR Sensors, Active EO Sources, Laser Propagation/Atmospheric Turbulence, and/or System of Systems
Experience in laser efficacy, platform integration, beam director design, beam control design, weapon control design, laser safety, system safety considerations, control system design, laser system design, and laser weapon system ruggedness; detailed knowledge of detailed weapon systems to understand how changes in one part of a system impact the rest of the laser weapon system; and system and subsystem activation, testing, and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with systems architecture and familiar with various industry frameworks (e.g. Zachman, TOGAF, DoDAF, RCAP)
- Experience writing proposals and authoring technical volumes.
- Strong leadership presence and influence
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationship with all levels of the organization, including customers, users, and other peer groups
- Domain expertise in military development and procurement programs, capabilities, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and negotiation skills
Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) degree in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Math or related discipline
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
Type Of Job
TX - McKinney
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply
Work on classified projects and enjoy plenty of recognition
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or a experienced professional, it’s important that you feel recognized and rewarded for your contributions.
Raytheon is proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to you, your spouse and your eligible children. In addition to pro tecting you and your family's health and well-being, we offer important income and work/life benefits to meet your needs. Learn More
Turn unique thinking into one-of-a-kind solutions
Diversity. Every company likes to talk about it, but few have embraced it with quite the same commitment as we have here at Raytheon. As a result, diversity has become a competitive imperative and an integral part of our business model, particularly as we continue to grow internationally. Learn More
Work as one to make a difference to millions
Here at Raytheon, we innovate across all domains: from land and sea to air, space, and cyberspace.It’s innovation made possible by a strong internal culture and a vision that’s shared by Raytheon employees across the globe – a vision of one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Learn More
Download our Corporate Responsibility Report.
- View all events
Raytheon IIS Career Fair (Triton) - Aurora, CO
Time: 11:00 am MT - 5:00 pm MT Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
University of Arizona Spring Career Days
Time: 11:00 am MT - 4:00 pm MT Address: Student Union Memorial Center 1303 E. University Blvd. 3rd Floor Tucson, Arizona 85719 Type: Campus Career Fair
Raytheon Abilities Networking Hour
Time: 3:00 pm ET - 4:00 pm ET Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
Raytheon GTS Virtual Open House
Time: 8:00 am ET - 4:00 pm ET Address: , Type: Professional Career Fair
UMass Lowell Spring Career Fair 2018
Time: 4:00 pm ET - 7:00 pm ET Address: UML Tsongas Center 300 Martin Luther King Jr Way Lowell, Massachusetts 01852 Type: Campus Career Fair
URI Spring Career and Internship Fair 2018
Time: 2:00 pm ET - 5:00 pm ET Address: The Ryan Center One Lincoln Almond Plaza Kingston, Rhode Island 02881 Type: Campus Career Fair